Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> First Impression Of Ircam Lab, Wow, totally new mixes are possible
gollolux
post May 24 2014, 12:16 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,110

Tried now IRCAM Lab during several hours with one instrumental playback of my songs. You can do really weird or even nasty things with this program. The possibility to record live done changes in a song will certainly inspire some remixers. Could create quite new songs just playing with the program.
Next I'll see the quality on a single voice so I can compare it to a voice transposed in Melodyne.
But the first impression today was very good!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nick
post May 26 2014, 04:25 PM
Post #2

Staff

Group: Team
Member No.: 11,576

QUOTE (gollolux @ May 24 2014, 01:16 AM) *
Tried now IRCAM Lab during several hours with one instrumental playback of my songs. You can do really weird or even nasty things with this program. The possibility to record live done changes in a song will certainly inspire some remixers. Could create quite new songs just playing with the program.
Next I'll see the quality on a single voice so I can compare it to a voice transposed in Melodyne.
But the first impression today was very good!

Hello gollolux,

Here are some tips from the IRCAM team so you can get the most out of it.

You can adjust the Settings depending on your material. In the Settings panel (the little engine icon), you can setup a Quality level : in general med-high will improve the transposition for multi-channel materials and high will activate an improved algorithm for the transient-sinus-noise remix section.

The Source settings is very important : the single voice presets are made for voice and will activate a shape preservation algorithm specially suited for them. Choose the monophonic modes whenever does not have multiple instruments, it may be also be best suited for Drums.

But nothing is made in stone, switch between the different ones to find the one that best match for you your material, realistically or esthetically.

Another important parameter is the Max F0 (Maximum Fundamental frequency in Hertz) one, wich is modified by the Source but can also be adjusted after by hand. It will have an important impact on the transposition of your material. The different settings show you the F0 range expected by the engine.

Better, realistic result expect a consistent F0 but play with it if you want also to affect the transformation in different ways.

Also test the remix section part, IrcamLab TS can be used as a precise transient designer.

Have Fun,
The IRCAMLab dev team.

And

Best Regards,

Nick

+Quote Post
famousbass
post May 28 2014, 08:16 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 11,944

I had half an hour with it.

It works beautifully.

I'd prefer there to be zoom in and out on the mouse wheel rather than only having that adjustment available by travelling to the lower RH corner for every magnification need.

I like that a simple double click returns to default settings for each knob.

I'm playing this on my home iMac on OSX 10.6.8 Intel Dual Core.

Nice, extreme is easy, subtle is easier still.

Time stretch to exact duration by data entry and transposition by precise pitch by data entry would be great addition.

Cheers

This post has been edited by famousbass: May 28 2014, 08:19 AM

+Quote Post
Nick
post May 28 2014, 03:00 PM
Post #4

Staff

Group: Team
Member No.: 11,576

QUOTE (famousbass @ May 28 2014, 09:16 AM) *

It works beautifully.

I'd prefer there to be zoom in and out on the mouse wheel rather than only having that adjustment available by travelling to the lower RH corner for every magnification need.

Time stretch to exact duration by data entry and transposition by precise pitch by data entry would be great addition.

Cheers

Hello famousbass,

Thanks for giving us your feedback.

It is early days for the software and of course there are some things that are missing that would make navigation and the process easier.

Your comment about the magnification and the entry of the exact duration and pitch needed for a project are great suggestions.

The most important thing was to have the software's audio quality at its highest level, which we think IRCAM LAB has accomplished. Now with the feedback we are getting from the people who are trying it out we will send along your comments so that the user interface is top notch as well.

Best Regards,

Nick

+Quote Post
ircamlabdev
post May 28 2014, 03:38 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 16,153

Hi !
Thanks for your feedback,

Concerning the magnification and zoom,
1) you can zoom in/out by clicking and dragging the mouse vertically (similar to ableton live zoom) from the horizontal time ruler. (this also apply when you have a sonogram calculated and you want to zoom frequencies from the frequency vertical ruler)
2) Another option is also to select a region using SHIFT+CLICK+DRAG inside also the horizontal and the vertical ruler.

Also you should be able to enter a precise value for the transposition and stretch (and all other too) by clicking inside the text field next to the concerned slider. Or i did not understand what you mean ?

If you have any question (as the demo-beta app you have does not have a manual for now), do not hesitate to ask it here.

Best regards,
The IRCAM Lab dev team.

QUOTE (famousbass @ May 28 2014, 09:16 AM) *

It works beautifully.

Cheers

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 07:24 AM