Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
I Need A Spat Reverb User Bad!, Can't get SPAT to function in surround
arapahoe
post Oct 25 2012, 08:29 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,586

When I purchased SPAT I thought I would be able to use it in a surround environment but as of yet I'm unable to get it to do what I need it to do.

What I want to do...

I want to be able to have a stereo (or mono) vst instrument like a piano, placed into a SPAT reverb room and then be able to have my front 2 speakers simulate the front of the room (closest to the piano) and have my rear 2 speakers simulate the back of the room...

What I get is the same signal coming out of the front speakers as my 2 rear speakers? How do I place an instrument into one of your reverb rooms and then get a true simulation of that room that I can distribute to my 4 speakers?

I have tried this on mac and PC and can't get it to work in either environment.

On PC I'm opening your SPAT plug in in VSL's Vienna Esemble 5 software (32 bit version) and on mac I'm trying it in the same software (VSL's Vienna Esemble 5 software (32 bit version) with Cubase 6.5 as the host.

In Cubase on the mac I can only get a stereo configuration as an output.

IS IRCAM SPAT incapable of simulating a true surround configuration. It just does not seem to work

HELP! This cost me a lot of money and the documentation is REALLY SUPERFICIAL and doesn't go into how to set this up (if it's even possible)

Thanks,

Wade
Current owner of IRCAM Tools 1.1
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nick
post Oct 26 2012, 02:08 PM
Post #2

Staff

Group: Team
Member No.: 11,576

QUOTE (arapahoe @ Oct 25 2012, 09:29 PM) *
When I purchased SPAT I thought I would be able to use it in a surround environment but as of yet I'm unable to get it to do what I need it to do.

What I want to do...

I want to be able to have a stereo (or mono) vst instrument like a piano, placed into a SPAT reverb room and then be able to have my front 2 speakers simulate the front of the room (closest to the piano) and have my rear 2 speakers simulate the back of the room...

What I get is the same signal coming out of the front speakers as my 2 rear speakers? How do I place an instrument into one of your reverb rooms and then get a true simulation of that room that I can distribute to my 4 speakers?

I have tried this on mac and PC and can't get it to work in either environment.

On PC I'm opening your SPAT plug in in VSL's Vienna Esemble 5 software (32 bit version) and on mac I'm trying it in the same software (VSL's Vienna Esemble 5 software (32 bit version) with Cubase 6.5 as the host.

In Cubase on the mac I can only get a stereo configuration as an output.

IS IRCAM SPAT incapable of simulating a true surround configuration. It just does not seem to work

HELP! This cost me a lot of money and the documentation is REALLY SUPERFICIAL and doesn't go into how to set this up (if it's even possible)

Thanks,

Wade
Current owner of IRCAM Tools 1.1

Hello arapahoe,

Thanks for your interest in the Ircam SPAT plug-in.

I don't have a 5.1 system here at my disposal to simulate your situation but I do know from our use of ProTools is one has to import an "I/O settings" that is a preset with the Master and AUXs set up to put the Spat as an a true 5.1 plug-in.

We then can route the stereo source, the piano in your case, to the aux where you can feed the Spat which will function as a "surround" 5.1 reverb.

Prehaps Cubase has the same "preset mixer configurations" available and then you just make sure the routing of the master fader feeds the 5 speakers plus sub in the proper order to get the listening happening.

We have a lot of SPAT clients who do use it for film mixes in 5.1

Keep in touch.

Best Regards,

Nick

--------------------------------------------
DontCrac[k]
9198-8857 QUEBEC INC.
Nick Hamilton - Product Manager
nick@dontcrack.com
http://www.dontcrack.com
- JOIN US ON FACEBOOK -

+Quote Post
arapahoe
post Oct 26 2012, 09:25 PM
Post #3

Nick,

thanks for taking the time to try to help me. I will have to look at Cubase very closely to see if I have missed something but I don't think it works the same way as Pro tools.

Since I'm using SPAT as a VST plugin the inputs are already set up. You do set up the outputs and I did that for a quadro configuration but SPAT will only output as a stereo signal.

Really, It's so complicated that I don't even feel comfortable trying to explain it. ( although it seems like you understand the basics of what I want to do.

Maybe I should shoot some screen shots and put them up here so you and others to care to try to help don't have to rely on my trying to explain this.

Man this is hard...

Thanks and talk to you soon,
Wade

+Quote Post
arapahoe
post Oct 29 2012, 08:01 PM
Post #4

Nick

I went back and looked at Cubase and figured out that what I should have been doing is creating a separate FX track and then I would be able to use SPAT in a surround configuration. So thanks for the tip as it helped me get a little bit more understanding of this plug in.

However now I have several more questions that are stumping me!

When inside the reverb plugin I understand that the source (little yellow circles - either stereo or mono) represent the sound of and instrument like a piano or trumpet or whatever and the head in the middle is supposed to represent me the listener

But..

what do the little speakers represent? Do they represent the speakers in my studio? If so when I move them around it does not seem like the sound is represented correctly. Just not sure what exactly to do with them as when I move the SOURCE (yellow Circles) I get the sound moving around the reverb room correctly. Stupid question I know...

Also, In cubase I want to set up a 6 channel system with 2 front speakers - 2 back speakers and - 2 side speakers. But in SPAT all I get when I select 6.0 as the setup I get a Center Front and a Center Back instead of the side speakers??? Is there any way to set up the studio the way I want or am I left with these pre configured settings.

I know when I click the little "Gear" icon by the output section I can go in and specify like 3 ins and 6 outs or whatever but every time I make a setting change in that section all audio in Cubase stops and besides I have no idea how to use this dialog setting area to make any changes... I don't understand it.

Thanks for any help

+Quote Post
Nick
post Nov 1 2012, 04:55 PM
Post #5

Staff

QUOTE (arapahoe @ Oct 29 2012, 08:01 PM) *
Nick

I went back and looked at Cubase and figured out that what I should have been doing is creating a separate FX track and then I would be able to use SPAT in a surround configuration. So thanks for the tip as it helped me get a little bit more understanding of this plug in.

However now I have several more questions that are stumping me!

When inside the reverb plugin I understand that the source (little yellow circles - either stereo or mono) represent the sound of and instrument like a piano or trumpet or whatever and the head in the middle is supposed to represent me the listener

But..

what do the little speakers represent? Do they represent the speakers in my studio? If so when I move them around it does not seem like the sound is represented correctly. Just not sure what exactly to do with them as when I move the SOURCE (yellow Circles) I get the sound moving around the reverb room correctly. Stupid question I know...

Also, In cubase I want to set up a 6 channel system with 2 front speakers - 2 back speakers and - 2 side speakers. But in SPAT all I get when I select 6.0 as the setup I get a Center Front and a Center Back instead of the side speakers??? Is there any way to set up the studio the way I want or am I left with these pre configured settings.

I know when I click the little "Gear" icon by the output section I can go in and specify like 3 ins and 6 outs or whatever but every time I make a setting change in that section all audio in Cubase stops and besides I have no idea how to use this dialog setting area to make any changes... I don't understand it.

Thanks for any help

Hello arapahoe,

I haven't personally tried to set up a 6 speaker config as you describe but I'm sure it can be done.

In the SPAT manual it says:

" figure (9) Speaker
Speaker location and direction.
Each speaker can individually be moved by clicking and dragging, and reset to its default position with a right click.
Speakers can also be hidden by right-clicking anywhere in an empty space.
Please note the number and characteristics speakers are respectively adjusted in the Setup sub-menu and tab.

So you can move the speakers to the locations you mentioned. Of course you need Six separate outputs on your interface as you know to accomplish this

The sources/inputs (if you have mutiple inputs) can also be manipulated. Your piano sample is probably stereo but I believe you can position the linked pair (1 and 2) to seem to be coming from the back or front or anywhere else you want.

They are as you thought the little yellow icons.

This plug-in is used mostly by film and video sound mixers to get their 5.1 or surround mixes happening the way they want them to, so the presets reflect that.

It is not exactly like the usual stereo reverbs for that reason, but with a little effort you will have some amazing tricks up your sleeve.

Tell me how you get on.

Best Regards,

Nick

DontCrac[k]
Nick Hamilton - Product Manager
nick@dontcrack.com
http://www.dontcrack.com
- JOIN US ON FACEBOOK -

+Quote Post
arapahoe
post Jul 11 2014, 07:51 PM
Post #6

I wonder if I could someone in the know to chime in here.

I'm still after a long time having troubles understanding Ircam Spat and figuring out how to use it.

I"m currently using Cubase 7.5 on a mac set to 32 bit.

I think I will just ask this one question and see if I can get an answer.

I'm under the impression that you can put multiple sources into a single instance of Spat. Is this true? In other words, you should be able to route different tracks to this single instance and place them into different places in the reverb environment.

I can't for the life of me understand how this is done. How do you get multiple tracks to feed into Spat and have Spat keep track of them. I can send all the tracks I want to an FX channel that is set up as a send but all of the tracks have exactly the same reverb placement. When I move the little yellow balls around everything moves with it.

How do I separate these different instruments so that Spat can keep track of them?

This is just ONE of the many questions I have and there just does not seem to be anywhere I can go to get answers...

Help?

arapahoe

+Quote Post
Nick
post Jul 18 2014, 11:00 AM
Post #7

Staff

QUOTE (arapahoe @ Jul 11 2014, 08:51 PM) *
I wonder if I could someone in the know to chime in here.

I'm still after a long time having troubles understanding Ircam Spat and figuring out how to use it.

I"m currently using Cubase 7.5 on a mac set to 32 bit.

I think I will just ask this one question and see if I can get an answer.

I'm under the impression that you can put multiple sources into a single instance of Spat. Is this true? In other words, you should be able to route different tracks to this single instance and place them into different places in the reverb environment.

I can't for the life of me understand how this is done. How do you get multiple tracks to feed into Spat and have Spat keep track of them. I can send all the tracks I want to an FX channel that is set up as a send but all of the tracks have exactly the same reverb placement. When I move the little yellow balls around everything moves with it.

How do I separate these different instruments so that Spat can keep track of them?

This is just ONE of the many questions I have and there just does not seem to be anywhere I can go to get answers...

Help?

arapahoe

Hello arapahoe,

As this has been going on for a while now maybe the best way to sort it out is to get in touch with Flux Support directly.

They are the real experts and I am sure they have already helped people to get this type of situation working correctly;

Here is the Flux support link just copy what you have said already in this forum and ask them.

http://www.fluxhome.com/support/contactus.html

Let me know how it works out.

Best Regards,

Nick

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:15 AM